For most of us, Google is part of our everyday life. Open our internet browser and Google.com is most likely the very first website we search for. However, not known to most, Google actually offers more than just a huge database of information. Here are 10 interesting tips and fun facts about Google that you should try out!
First up, Google has quite a selection of interesting online games that are easily accessible and absolutely free. Beware though, these games severely weakens your productivity!
1. Atari Breakout
Some of you may remember the old “Atari breakout” arcade game where we tried our very best to clear all the blocks in the level with a ball by using a paddle and the wall to aim towards the blocks without letting the ball fall. A game that was simple but highly addictive, you can access this online version by simple typing “Atari Breakout” into Google’s Image search and off you go, back to your arcade days.
2. Zerg rush
This ingenious game takes some people by surprise as it retains the typical Google search results webpage. However, a bunch of ‘O’s and I mean the two letter ‘O’s in Google will start coming out from the sides of your screen and attack your search results. As each search result has a health bar, you have to get rid of each individual ‘O’ by clicking on them three times. The game ends when all your search results are destroyed, and all the existing ‘O’s will come together to make out a huge ‘GG’ on your screen. So test your speed, act fast and may the fastest clicker win!
3. The Hobbit, A Journey through Middle-Earth
Are you a fan of the ‘The Hobbit’ movie series? If so, you might want to check out this interactive game created by Google celebrating ‘The Hobbit’ series. It even has its own website which comes with amazing 3D graphics and even allows you to change the input language. Not only does this website give you a chance to experience the 5 famous battles, you can choose to either follow your favourite characters or simple explore the map, it is entirely up to you! You can access the website here.
4. Build with Chrome
For all of you who miss your Lego blocks from your childhood but can’t find the time to dig out your Lego sets, Google has a website called ‘buildachrome.com’ where you can build a Lego masterpiece online. There is even a Build academy where you can go through the different levels for you to become a master builder. What are you waiting for? Build a Lego piece with a few clicks and you can even share it online! Check out it here!
5. Dinosaur-Jumping-Cactus Game
Though it doesn’t have an official name, this is the game most of us find ourselves playing while waiting for our internet to work. Sounds familiar? When you are frustrated and the ‘Unable to connect to the Internet’ notice appears on your browser, you will find that there will be a dinosaur along with the notice. Simply press the space bar and you will be amazed to see that the dinosaur will start running in the desert. It will jump whenever you press the space bar and your ultimate goal would be to help the dinosaur jump over the approaching cacti. Once you have started, you would have entered into an endless running game.
Google is also well known for coming up with quirky and creative tricks especially when you type a certain phrases or words into the search bar. These are a few examples that can help you temporarily relief your boredom!
1. Try typing “Do a barrel roll” or “Z or R twice” in the google search and you will be pleasantly surprised to see the google page do a 360-degree spin.
2. Typing “Askew” into your search bar will cause your page to tilt slightly to one side
3. If you are in an artistic mood, try clicking the “I’m feeling lucky” button without anything in the search bar. You will be presented with a compilation of all of Google’s past doodles over the years including the famous Pacman Game doodle that you can still actually play with.
4. Another cool trick is typing “Google gravity” into the search bar and then clicking on the “I’m feeling lucky” button. This causes your Google page to collapse at the bottom of your screen and by clicking and dragging the blocks you can even throw the different blocks around the screen.
5. Or if you are tired of looking at your typical Google page day in and day out, you could try to go back in time with the “Classic Google Page” through this link. This page brings you back to the days to the old Google search complete with the old logo.
So now that you have found out about all these cool features that Google has to offer, be sure to try all of them out and don’t forget to impress your friends with your knowledge of Google!